Monday, October 19, 2009

Radio SuperStar

As some of you know, I graduated from Utah with a degree in Broadcast Journalism with a focus on Radio. I loved radio. I had my own 2-hour show up the University of Utah on their college station. I believe that at least 13 people would listen to my show every week (mainly family and probably some interns who were forced to listen to it). I also worked at KALL radio where I was an associate producer and fill-in producer for Chris Tunis. I loved finding him guests and putting together a show for him. I also served as the fill-in sports guy for KNEWS 570. I did that for about 6 months. I applied to be Tom Barberi's producer and it was down to me and this other girl for the position. She got it.

A few months later, I was offered an overnight talk show position and I accepted. I had my show from 12midnight till 4am. It was called the Sandman Hours. Brodi was on one of my shows as a guest...we had some absolutely crazy call ins...one guy called in and hated what I was saying so much and that he said that knew where the station was (we were upstairs at the Kinkos building on 33rd South 7th East) and he was coming in to 'talk' with me. He never came, but if he had, he would have received a severe tongue lashing. I spent nights talking about sports and current events. There are few things more glamorous than doing talk radio through the middle of the night. But I soon came to the conclusion that I was no longer interested in talking about Karl Malone wrestling or BYU football players breaking the honor code. My job didn't last long, and I realized it was time to move on.


So, why do I mention all of this? Well, last week, I was brought on to a national internet radio broadcast to talk about international business and the company that I work for...it was very cool. One hour to talk about the company and the obstacles of working in Pakistan. It was a last minute thing though, so I wasn't able to tell family and friends (and I know you were all crushed to not hear it). Lets just say that I was rusty, but it was cool. And let me just say--the audience was probably mesmerized by the exciting discussion. I also have a feeling that only about 9 people heard it, but I am sure that they will not forget it.

No comments: