Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Random Thoughts Tuesday

You know its hot when our country manager from Pakistan was in town a few days ago and he remarks 'Wow, its really hot, isn't it?' This from a man that lives in Lahore, Pakistan where the average temp in the summer is 120 degrees at 70% humidity.




Did you know that NBA players who on average, make $5 million a year, get a per diem on road trips? Yes, that is right. Kevin Garnett makes $23 million a year to play basketball, but when he gets off the team bus in Atlanta, he is handed an envelope of cash at $106 a day for food and incidentals. It is comforting to know that these players can have their $10 meal at Dennys covered with per diems.

I remember being in high school and gas prices were under a $1. Now we are over $4. That is some pretty depressing stuff.

I saw a home for sale listing on craigslist the other day that had this line in it: "This home is Voted # 1 in the area by all the neighbors. This will go fast." Interesting--mythical rankings of homes in an area. I can just see the realtor going home to home saying, 'So, which home would you rank as the #1 home in the neighborhood?' I can see all of the homeowners meeting monthly and ranking each home in the area...'sorry Jim, your house fell a couple of spots because Steve updated his basement playroom and Phil added a nice patio in the back. Buy a new appliance and it should vault your home back into the top 5.'

I have no idea how more people are not killed or injured lighting off fireworks during the 4th of July. Seriously.

I have enough steak in my freezer and refrigerator to last a normal family of 5 about 3 months. For me, it will last a couple of weeks. At most. I could eat bone-in ribeye steak for every meal.

I went out and played tennis the other day with a friend of mine, Brandon. He is really, really good. It was rather discouraging though to realize how little I play tennis nowadays considering that I used to play 15 hours of tennis a week for about 10 years of my life. I am rusty and out of shape but it is good to be back on the court again.

2 comments:

Molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly said...

Hey, don't knock the NBA per diem. When my Dad travels with the Jazz during the preseason and playoffs, he gets a per diem that he brings home at the end of the trip in a big envelope. It makes my Mom very, very happy. :)