Friday, November 13, 2009

The gym, ignored towels and naked men

We are members of a local gym. For the most part, we use it for tennis and swimming and we have enjoyed it. But let me be honest, there is one thing that just surprises me every single time that I go there. I am sure that I have talked about this in the past, so I apologize for bringing it up again, but I just have to post about it. Again. So, this morning, I have had a fun 90 minutes of playing tennis with my tennis partner Brandon and I head to the locker room to go grab some stuff. That is when it happens.

I do not know what it is about older men and locker rooms. I stress older men because I rarely see anyone under the age of 50 doing this. But, you walk in and there are 2-3 naked men standing at the sinks combing their hair or brushing their teeth. These guys are not using the shower right then. They are not sitting at their lockers ready to change in their clothes. These guys are standing at the sinks, buck naked, brushing their teeth. The worst part of it all? They usually have a towel slung over their shoulder.

I am trying to figure out the thought process here--yeah, I got a towel, but man, I am in the locker room and I need to be free. Seriously? Seriously? Once again, seriously? You can't take the towel off your shoulder and just wrap it around your waist? You need to stand there naked (and these are large men, often, 250 pound men) while you comb your hair, put on your contact lenses, admire yourself in the mirror, brush your teeth or pick your teeth?

My eyes rarely leave the ceiling as I scurry in, dodging large naked men to go and grab whatever I need. I also have to believe that maybe all of these men are concerned with saving our natural resources so they don't use towels which then do not need to be washed. Anyway, good times at the gym.

6 comments:

nielsons*love*family said...

now gouging my eyes out at the mental picture!

thanks sam~

Shellie said...

guess what Sam? You've encountered the "Mature" meterosexual male. This is you when you turn 50. its liking looking into your own future dude.

samandbrodi said...

Dorien--You are welcome!

Shell--oh crap, good point. In 20 years, someone will be blogging about that creepy 50ish guy going nudie while brushing his teeth.

6deans said...

And I only thought we had that problem in the womens locker room at the gym. Guess not...must be an older generation thing. Let me tell you how fun it is when I have Sadie there for swim lessons and she can't take her eyes off them...AWESOME!!!

samandbrodi said...

Emily--good lessons for Sadie...it is never too long to learn what we are all going to look like when we get old. Ok, I'm depressed now.

Anonymous said...

Little But Interesting One!
Cheap Gym Towels