Thursday, May 26, 2011

Random and Rambling thoughts

Just a few rambling non-connected thoughts over the past few days:

No School Day: OK, so school ends next Friday. We have Memorial Day on Monday, so obviously, there is no school. But there is no school tomorrow either. Why? Its 'Student Non Attendance Day.' Seriously. That is what it is called. And, on top of that, today is a half day because the kids need to get ready for 'Student Non Attendance Day.'

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis: This is the longest word in the english dictionary and its definition is: It is a disease of the lungs that appears to have been caused by silica. All I can ask is 'why?' You have about a billion other options to give something a name and you give it that? Parents get mocked for what they name their kids...the person that pulled this name out should be fired from all future name giving.

Swedes and Danes know how to write: I will probably blog about it in a few weeks, but Scandanavian thriller writers are taking over the world. Stieg Larsson with the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, Joe Nesbo's series on detective Harry Hole and Henning Mankell's Wallander series are all absolutely terrific. There are a lot of those books, but I am slowly making my way thru it all.

Infomercials: Can not be any more addicting. Whether its knives, workouts, bread machines, new dance moves, jewelry or car cleaners...I can't stop watching it. I have to force myself to turn away. I don't buy anything but I want to buy everything. Part of it probably has to do with it usually being 3am when I wake up and its on and I can't will myself back to bed...but those guys are tv geniuses.