Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wii, shmii...get me an old Atari and I will be happy

Over the past 10+ years of our marriage, we have had several game consoles. We have had the PlayStation, DS units and the Wii. My kids love playing games. I have never really gotten into it. Since I have been married, I have probably played less than 10 hours worth of games on those machines.


So logically, I should go out and buy another gaming console. I did. This one is for me. I bought an Atari 2600. Yes, a 1980s Atari console with 70+ games. How cool is that? I hurriedly set it up and my boys joined me in on the fun. I turned it on and my boys looked at the tv in horror. WHAT THE FRAK IS THIS? That is what their eyes were saying. The graphics were atrocious. Worse than I even remember. I played for about an hour the first day. Then I got bored.





But, a funny thing happened. Every time I walk by that 30 year old gaming system, I stop and play a game. Pac Man, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Pinball, Centipede, Frogger...can it get any cooler? Carter will come in and see me playing and he will just shake his head and leave me alone. He seems completely perplexed that I would enjoy playing the Atari. He often asks incredulously, 'You like playing the Atari?' Yes, I do. Yes, I do.

No comments: